Saturday, April 30, 2011

Scents and smells




Scents and smells play a big role in our enjoyemnt of food. This is made very obvious when we catch a cold and we can't smell a thing, Suddenly the food becomes tasteless and bland. We have no appetite.

How often have you been led to the kitchen by the smell of food being cooked? The smell of fish being fried is quite something. It invariably makes my stomach rumble and my mouth salivate.

Similarly if any food is burnt, it's our nose that tells us first. We surely would have experienced the time when we almost put food in our mouth but was stopped in time by the smell that told us that the food was stale.

Some scents and smells are predominant in my consciousness. The smell of freshly cut grass tells me that my neighbor is mowing his lawn, The smell of wood-smoke drifting into the house tells me that my father is burning dry leaves. The smell of dog-dung in my bedroom tells me that my dog has...... OH NO!!!!!!!!